On anti-Asian hate

Thank you everyone for checking in. I am fine. I am fortunate that I have never experienced that level of fear. But I also tell you that I had to quit counting microagressions I encountered long time ago. What happened in Atlanta is not just a crime against Asians, but against Asian women in particular. As an Asian woman myself, I refuse any nonsense that the perpetrator and his enablers are disseminating. I pray for victims of this unforgivable tragedy.

I shared this article ("This Is What No One Tells You About Being Asian in America in 2021" by Sharon Kwon) last month. I, too, often refrain from representing myself as a parent of color when we talk about public education. Because in reality we are used as a wedge to sustain the system in which white students' success are built upon black and brown students' struggles. It shouldn't be that way. Asian students are also victims of white supremacy. It breaks my heart every time I hear stories of Asian students who are almost choked by the pressure to pass selective enrollment tests. No matter how much they achieve in this system, white supremacy never makes them white. What we need is a solidarity to dismantle white supremacy, misogyny, and patriarchy.